TENNIS & FAMILY – THE KARZEN WAY
Established in 1961, North Shore Racquet Club (NSRC) is the oldest and longest running indoor tennis facility in the Midwest. Over the years, NSRC, including Jerry Karzen Tennis and John Karzen Basketball, has evolved into one of the premier facilities in the North Shore area* offering championship tennis teams, adult and junior tennis development programs, junior basketball, fitness, and a variety of other programs. The “Karzen Way” is to provide an enthusiastic, positive environment in which students can learn, improve, and have fun as they do it!
Jerry Karzen, club owner and Tennis Director, started playing in tennis tournaments when he was 11 years old. He attended New Trier High School and then continued on to University of Michigan on a tennis scholarship. After being a college All-American, he played in Wimbledon, the French Open and the U.S. Open – part of the grand slam of the tennis circuit. Today Jerry still competes and wins in national tournaments with son, Brett and daughter, Becky.
John Karzen, owner of JKBB and Basketball Director, also attended New Trier High School with an impressive tennis history. John continues to play and teach tennis at NSRC. However, his favorite sport is basketball. In 1999, John ran a small basketball summer camp program with 20 campers per day. Today, he has grown his camp into JKBB Basketball at NSRC – a year-round, co-ed junior basketball program with over 300 students. JKBB offers over 12 independent classes, 2 In-House Leagues and 2 Boys Travel Teams and a special Girls Only League. JKBB Basketball is recognized by North Shore Area high school feeder programs as a high quality, junior basketball development program.
A few on court family accomplishments that we are proud of include:
- Jerry and Brett winning 41 USTA National Father/Son Championships and being ranked #1 in the nation the last 15 years – 2005-2021.
- Jerry and Becky winning 18 USTA National Father/Daughter Championships and being ranked #1 in the nation 14 out of the last 17 years – 2003-2019.
- Jerry and Becky became the first Father/Daughter team to achieve a Career Grand Slam by winning all four of the National Father/Daughter titles.
- Jerry and Brett winning the National Father/Son Senior “Golden” Slam – Winning all four National Championships in the same year.
- Dick Karzen (founder) and Jerry winning four National Father/Son Championships from 1977-1982.
- John (brother) winning the National Amateur Men’s Doubles in 1990 and being three-time Illinois State Doubles Champion.
- Jan (sister) being one of the first members of the University of Michigan’s Women’s Team and playing #2 Singles from 1975-1977.
- Kathy (sister) playing #1 for the University of Michigan Women’s Team from 1976-1980 and being named All Big 10.
What a joy it has been to be able to combine family and tennis! Whether it has been competing with my dad, son Brett or daughters Becky, Brooke and Bridget in National Father/Son or Father/Daughter Tournaments – to running North Shore Racquet Club with mother, Evelyn, brother John and sister Jan – it’s been a love not a labor!
Looking forward to our family getting to know yours!
North Shore area, applies to the following suburbs: Bannockburn, Buffalo Grove, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Ft. Sheridan, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Highland Park, Highwood, Hubbard Woods, Kenilworth, Lincolnshire, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Park Ridge, Riverwoods, Rosemont, Skokie, Techny, Vernon Hills, Wilmette, and Winnetka.